This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Diageo. All opinions are mine alone. The following content is intended for readers who are 21 or older. #CollectiveBias #thewhiskey5
I have been on a baking roll! I love baking, it’s relaxing for me, but I have been working on multiple projects lately that have pulled me away from the baking world but boy am I glad to be back in baking groove! Fall and Winter I throw a TON of baking recipes your way so get ready, ladies. Have you ever made a cake and been so happy with the results that you do a little dance in the kitchen? Yep, that totally happened with this grilled orange sea salt brownie cake. I yelled for my husband to come downstairs right away and taste this bad boy, he too was happy with the results. I’ve had a few baking fails but this is far from that! This cake is perfect for big celebrations and girls nights. Paired with whiskey (say what!?) and this cake is the best thing ever. We ate it and shared it with family this past week and I couldn’t wait to share it with you guys! Grab the recipe details including a whiskey sip and much more below.
In a hurry? There’s a Pinterest friendly image at the bottom so go ahead, hover over it and pin for later!
I’m a Florida gal so oranges are a favorite favorite favorite. I’ve been wanting to pull oranges from our tree to grill for awhile now and I am SO glad I was able to try my hand at it. Needless to say I will be grilling and sea salting oranges from this moment forward. I have always enjoyed the taste of oranges and chocolate and if you like the complimentary combo this recipe is just for you.
Full disclosure day 2 this cake is ever better! The grilled oranges and sea salt have sat overnight on the cake and soaked up even more flavor. Have you ever had a chocolate orange? It’s a chocolate ball sold typically during the holiday season and my brownie cake tastes just like it! Seriously, y’all are going to flip for this one.
Aside from the cake I also have all the details on how to make the icing and exactly how to grill up the oranges to perfection. The 3 part recipe will take a bit of time but oh my goodness you’ll love it! Turn on your favorite tunes while you sip on Seagrams 7 when baking, you’ll be baking like a boss.
Let’s pause for some whisky chat, ladies. Whiskey isn’t just for the guys.
Have you discovered the Whiskey5 site yet? Well if not, you’re welcome. The Whiskey5 site helps you discover your prime whiskey flavor preference and matches you up perfectly. The site helped guide me to discover I’m a Seagrams 7 gal that prefers a smooth whiskey to enjoy on the rocks, paired with sweet treats or with just a touch of fruits like grilled oranges. The smooth whiskey is a rich creamy and soothing adventure for your sense. With that description of course I like smooth! I thought I would be a sweet whiskey gal so I was surprised by the Whiskey5.com results.
Here’s what you’ll do: visit Whiskey5.com, select the two flavors that best fit you, then hit get results to discover your flavor. Head back here and let me know which whiskey match you are then we can chat recipes and more.
Be sure to look for the display below at your local retailer.
How cute are those tiny gold bottom glasses? I found them at a craft store and decided they were the perfect whiskey glass. Now let’s dive into the full recipes that pair perfectly with Seagrams 7.
Let’s make a cake that will blow your mind.
- 2 oranges sliced
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Coat orange slices in sugar and sea salt and grill until golden.
- Set aside for cake and try not to eat them up! These oranges are soooo yummy and the flavor they create is amazing. This might be my best idea yet. The longer these oranges sit the stronger the taste.
- 2 Cups of flour
- 2 Cups of sugar
- 1/4 Cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup of oil
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 cup of hot coffee
- 1 orange (juiced)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine all dry ingredients and stir
- Stir in egg, vanilla, milk, oil and juice of 1 orange
- Add in chocolate chips and hot coffee then stir well (you should see a good amount of chocolate melt when the coffee is poured in)
- Place in 2 round buttered baking pans
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick removes without uncooked batter
- Remove cakes from baking pans immediately and set aside to cool
Chocolate Orange Brownie Cake Icing
- 1 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar
- 5 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 of orange (juiced)
- Combine confectioners sugar and water, stir until a thick frosting is created
- In a separate bowl combine chocolate chips and butter, melt
- Add mixtures together along with juice from 1/2 of an orange (for a stronger orange flavor juice the full orange)
- Stir well and apply to brownie cake right away. This frosting will harden slightly to the cake and is perfection!
Garnish the completed cake with the grilled orange slices and graciously sprinkle sea salt over the entire cake.
PIN the image below to save this recipe!
I can’t wait to hear all about your whiskey flavor you discover at Whiskey5.com. Do you have a go to recipe that pairs perfectly with a whiskey sip or do you have a must try whiskey cocktail? Share your recipes with me in the comments below.
Thank you for supporting brands that make Melissa Creates possible. xo