Traditional white cake is my favorite. Most people are chocolate people and I like a touch of chocolate here and there, but vanilla is where it’s at. If you’re looking for a rich chocolate cake, check out the husband ‘s favorite- chocolate fudge Oreo cake.
Now it’s time to start chatting about the upcoming very green celebration. This year we won’t be heading to one of our favorite spots, Raglan Road, the best Irish bar ever located in downtown Disney. We will be home snuggled up to our little man with sweets in hand. I whipped up these fancy mini St Patrick’s Day cakes for a little holiday fun. These aren’t traditional cupcakes, they’re mini puffy cakes created from one large cake! Grab my go-to buttercream frosting recipe and more details on these super fancy mini cakes below.
I like cupcakes, but sometimes I don’t want the slightly rougher tops and sides, I want a tiny fluffy cake on all sides. I know you do too. I whipped up a vanilla cake in a 9×9 baking dish and cut our mini cakes using a glass cup. While the cake is still slightly warm place the cup into the cake and carve out mini size cakes. Tap and very easily shake the glass and the mini cake will slide out perfectly leaving the cake intact. Now you have the perfect mini cake or the perfect jumbo cupcake with fluffiness on all sides!
Grab my buttercream frosting recipe below and garnish with fancy holiday sprinkles. To add that extra touch of fancy (oh you fancy huh) add in St Patrick’s Day table glitter decor by attaching them to toothpicks.
- 1 cup solid white vegetable shortening (I prefer Crisco)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavor
- 10 teaspoons of water
- 1lb confectioners’ sugar (I prefer 10x)
- 1 tbsp Wilton Meringue Powder
- Green food dye (optional)
- Mix shortening, flavor, and meringue powder.
- Slowly add in the confectioners’ sugar.
- Add water at your discretion (depending on the thickness you want of your icing 10 teaspoons might not be required). If you want your icing thin, continue to add water a teaspoon at a time.
- Add in a few drops of green dye. Continue to add dye to achieve desired color.
- Frost your mini cakes and enjoy!